In a recent article, I discussed the question, ‘Why don’t we do the things we know are good for us?’ It’s a question I hear all the time. I talked about Speedy and Steady, the names I gave to the two parts of your mind. I advised that your mind does exactly what it thinks you want, and gave you the first step to change. Become aware of your internal chatter and the stories you repeatedly tell yourself.
In this article, I will share a simple yet powerful process which helps interrupt and stop the moment of sabotage. It freezes the moment and opens up the possibility of you responding differently. Helping Steady to come into play before Speedy jumps in and takes over, and giving Speedy better instructions!
So, next time you experience one of those moments when you agonise over going to the gym, completing your project, or choosing healthy foods, here is what to do.
The Secret Formula for Doing the Things you Know are Good For You
As you become aware of how and where you sabotage your success, simply stop. Spell the following four-letter word.
- The word is DIGG. (Dig with an extra D).
- Then say DIGG stands for DIGG (Spelling each letter). Then say the word DIGG
- Practice it now, so you start to form a habit of interrupting your sabotaging patterns.
To get the full benefit from this Secret Formula, I will explain the deeper meaning of DIGG. Then you can use it to create more impact and better results in your life by doing more of what you know is good for you.
DIGG stands for Desire, Intent, Gravel and Grit
D = Desire
What do you really desire to create? You must get clear about what you desire. For instance, perhaps you want to finish your proposal so you can earn more money and take a holiday with your family or friends? For me, I want to run a marathon next year. I desire to do this because I like to challenge myself, build mental toughness, gain fitness and disprove the theory about slowing down with age! Find your desire that drives the thing you want to do but tend to struggle to do consistently. Consistency and desire are key ingredients that make up the secret formula. They help create better habits.
I = Intention
Your Intention is everything. When you focus on what you intend to create you are steering the energy of your mind towards your goal or outcome. Visualise your outcome clearly. In the words of Neville, ‘Imagine yourself standing in the moment of the wish fulfilled’. For instance, when you have completed your proposal you will be feeling a sense of accomplishment, pride and are one step nearer a holiday. When I see myself crossing the finish line I will be feeling awesome, stronger and proud that I can do this even after a 20-year break from competing in ultra-distance sports. Pictures paint a thousand words and ‘Speedy’ likes pictures!
G = Gravel
The gravel is all those reasons, excuses, and obstacles in the way of your success. It is your beliefs that make up your story. It might be that you know you could get sidetracked with social media, or externally, it could be interruptions from your staff. You might sit up too late watching Netflix or eat too much junk food at a party, which will sabotage your success. For me and my goal to train for a marathon, it could be that I have too much else going on in my life to commit to the training required. Or, it could be an inner voice that says I’m tired or whatever other reason pops up. Write down the obstacles that may be in your way. This way you are digging into your subconscious mind where all learning, behaviour and change occurs. Working in the subconscious mind is critical to discover the secret formula for your success.
When you are clear about how you could sabotage your success it is easier to create a counter plan. Consider what your gravel is. It’s much less painful to clear it away before you slip on it. (Gravel hurts!)
G = Grit
This is where you need to remember you are way more powerful than you think you are. Dig deep and find your Grit, your inner toughness, resilience to take the necessary action or do the hard task. Write down a counter strategy for your excuses – your gravel. When you identify how you could sabotage your success and come up with a counter plan it is easier to keep on track. Create a plan and stick to it. Be consistent and find your grit! This may include diarising your tasks or blocking time for projects or training. When you take positive action in spite of how you feel or what you are thinking you build confidence and self-belief. Your brain will reward you with good hormones that help build momentum and help you create a champion mindset.
For completing a project it might be scheduling time in your diary, banning Netflix or simply making it a reward after a certain time. For my marathon, it’s scheduling training sessions in my diary. Doing them regardless of whatever reason may come up. Whether it’s a late-night, feeling tired, or too hot or cold. Planning and scheduling are key habits to create and are foundations for your success.
The Secret Formula for Doing the Things you Know are Good For You
Use your GRIT to clear the GRAVEL out of your way
- Next time when you hear yourself talking yourself out of doing something you know is good for you yet you don’t feel like doing it, it means you need to stop. Furthermore, remember your Secret Formula. Spell the word DIGG out loud, one letter at a time.
- This simple process interrupts Speedy and helps Steady get back in charge and steer Speedy towards the finish line.
- Science has shown that this literally freezes the moment and interrupts your habitual way of reacting, your auto-pilot, operated by Speedy. And Steady can then give Speedy better instructions so both parts of your mind work together in the direction of your goals and desires.
- Create a habit of using this short mantra. Take time to clearly define each letter of the word DIGG in relation to the thing you are struggling with. Gain clarity on what you desire, why you want to do this action or task, visualise your intention, layout your gravel and find your grit, the magic starts to happen. If you need some help creating a plan for your habits, check out this article.
- Imagine what you will achieve in your life when you are in charge of your mind, steering it in the direction of your goals rather than letting it wander off into the wilds? And as I said earlier, Speedy loves pictures!
About the Author
Mandy Napier is a Global Mindset & Performance Coach who helps her clients create a Mindset for Success so they can perform optimally both personally and professionally. Ultimately to break through their current blocks and achieve the level of success and results they strive for. Transformations and lasting results are an everyday occurrence. Guaranteed.
- Ready to step into the next level and breakthrough your current results? Then I invite you to book a Next Level Breakthrough Session on my online calendar. Let’s see how together we can work towards helping you achieve the results you want and become better, wiser and stronger.
OTHER FREE RESOURCES
- Discover how to do the things you know you should but don’t. Grab a copy of my free PDF guide Your Winning Mindset
- Access a FREE Course on How to Reduce Stress in the Mindset for Success Online Academy
Join the private Facebook group Winning Mindsets
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.