A Happy Relationship is about building a strong foundation. One that is built on qualities such as strength, trust, caring, love, kindness, respect, fun and sharing. A happy relationship should make your heart zing and your life a bit brighter! When you commit to working towards a happy and healthy relationship, you are committing to a more joyous relationship with yourself.
Happy Relationship – What are the secrets?
1. Don’t compare your relationship to anyone else’s. Yours is unique to you and your partner. Honour and cherish what you have together, what is important to you and what is special about yours.
2. Be okay with being yourself. Embrace your uniqueness and allow your partner to be themselves. You probably didn’t fall in love with the thing that makes you or them the same. Love your partner for who they are at the core. No one is perfect, unless of course you are?
3. Listen to your partner with no judgment. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Honour them by giving them time to speak and be present when they do!
4. Make sure you say what you mean and mean what you say. Open communication is the most critical ingredient for an honest, healthy and happy relationship. Ask questions if you don’t understand, rather than trying to be a mind reader and distorting your version of the truth.
5. Act with Integrity and truth. Make sure you don’t take advantage of the person in your relationship. Check out the Toltec Four Agreements for further insights.
6. Spend quality time with each other. In this busy world it is even more important to take time out to do something together every week. Make it a priority and schedule it in your diary.
7. Appreciate your partner and encourage them to grow. Support them on their journey too.
8. Don’t waste energy on arguments. Give up on your right to be right.
9. Take time out to respect yourself, your individual self. Make it your aim to work on your own happiness and self worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself, no one else will be able to either.
10. Know what you both value. Get crystal clear on your values and what is important to you both in your relationship. Select five values that you commit to sharing. When the going gets tough it is your shared values that is like the cement that will help keep it all together!
Until next time, remember
Your Mindset Matters