Our beliefs shape our results, our identity and our perception of the world. Furthermore, we have both helpful and unhelpful beliefs. Helpful beliefs support and champion us and pull us towards our goals. Our unhelpful, or limiting beliefs keep us stagnant and disempower us. They keep us from achieving our potential and living our best lives. Moreover, many of them are outside our conscious awareness which means we are not conscious of their influence in our lives. They are like invisible lenses we view the world through. The power of belief is so profound it is why you must uncover your hidden ones and weed them out.
Our beliefs become our thoughts, our thoughts become our words, our words become our habits, our habits become our values, our values become our destiny’ – Mahatma Gandhi.
Human Beings are Meaning Making Creatures!
Every second our nervous system is bombarded by two million bits of information via our five senses. To make sense of this and to prevent total overwhelm, we delete, distort and generalise information. We sift it through our own unique set of filters which include our beliefs. Our beliefs were formed to help us make sense of the world in light of our experiences. However, many of them we picked up when we were young. Furthermore, most were adopted by the time we were nine years old. Is it any wonder our past beliefs still shape the course of our lives? Here is why you must uncover your limiting beliefs and weed out any that are hindering your results.
The Power of Belief started when you young
As an example, you may have been told when you were young that money doesn’t grow on trees, or money is the root of all evil? You may not consciously have taken this on, but your subconscious mind, which is the powerhouse of your mind, absorbs and remembers everything. It is awake 24/7 and is therefore always, eavesdropping on your internal dialogue.
If you knowingly or unknowingly take this belief on, you will find this reflected in your results in your life. An example of this is if you are struggling to earn money or never quite making it in business. Your brain seeks to match up information that endorses this belief. Your thoughts create chemicals that produce feelings that match the thoughts. What you focus on does, literally, expand. This is exactly why you must work on creating good habits of thought as well as action.
What you focus on expands
Can you recall a time when someone told you about a car they were wanting to buy, or one they bought, that you had never heard of? Once you heard about it or saw it, you suddenly saw them everywhere! Now, it’s not that they suddenly made lots of them, it’s just that you were not focused on them before. You literally draw into your consciousness what you are focusing on. This works both ways; positively and negatively.
Do you ever say ‘I don’t want to be broke.’ If you do, the deepest part of your brain conjures up just that – a picture of the very thing you don’t want!
What about ‘I am no good,’ or ‘I don’t believe I have the skill set to get that job.’ Guess what picture you will be conjuring up? However, if you believe the world is an abundant place, you will attract abundance and experience this at many levels in your life. Your beliefs are a lynch-pin to the results you create.
Changing the power of belief to a positive force
What would your life be like if you believed you could have all the riches in the world, or you were an amazingly successful business owner?
One of the beliefs I live by is that I take responsibility for everything that happens to me in my life. Yet, how often do you hear people blaming someone else?
If you blame other people you are not truly taking responsibility.
Your beliefs determine your results, so let’s take a belief audit.
- Where are you in relation to where you want to be?
- What would you have had to believe to have arrived where you are right now?
- What beliefs are serving you and what ones are not serving you?
- Are you truly happy with where you are? Truly? In all areas? Consider the power of belief.
- Ask yourself what beliefs would you have had to have in order to have created the results you have right now (TIP – take a look at what you haven’t achieved). If, for instance, you didn’t exercise regularly, or eat healthily like you said you would ask yourself why? Keep digging and you will find a belief at the source – a dis-empowering one, such as “I am lazy,” or “I’m not good enough”. Then run the following questions through the belief.
- Where did this come from?
- Do I really believe it?
- Could the opposite be true?
- Is there a time in my life when the opposite was true?
- What would happen if I let it go?
- How do I feel when I consider being able to let it go?
- How would my life change if I could let it go?
This will help loosen up any beliefs that may be blocking your success.
If you would like to dig further into the power of your belief and how they have helped create your current results, and more importantly, how you can change them, please give me a call.
I would love to help. This is my specialty, stemming from having worked on my own beliefs. It was the start of a journey that allowed me to transform every area of my life.
Mandy Napier BSc
Mandy Napier is a Global High-Performance Mindset Coach who helps her clients get unstuck. Breakthrough their current blocks, step into their potential and achieve extraordinary results personally and professionally. Transformations are the norm and results guaranteed.
- If you are ready to breakthrough your current results I invite you to book a Next Level Breakthrough Session on my online calendar. Let’s see how together we can work towards helping you achieve the results you want.
OTHER FREE RESOURCES
- Join my private Facebook Community Winning Mindsets to connect with like-minded people
- Discover how to do the things you know you should but don’t. Grab a copy of my free PDF guide Your Winning Mindset
- Access a FREE Course on How to Reduce Stress in the Mindset for Success Online Academy