I stumbled across an article which I believe could help us to boost our productivity, improve our wellbeing and ultimately boost business success. Essential factors for succeeding in today’s distracted and busy world. You see if you are like most people you probably get distracted frequently during your day. However, you may only become aware when you suddenly realise you are mindlessly scrolling through your social media account or re-checking emails. Furthermore, you might find yourself in the tea room searching for something to eat to give you an instant reward. All of these seemingly trivial moments erode your precious time and add up to the high cost of business success.
So, how can we improve productivity and boost business success more easily?
Research indicates that our attention span has fallen to a mere eight seconds. Furthermore, with the myriad of digital and visual distractions all around, it’s almost impossible to keep focused on the task at hand for very long. Have you ever wondered how often you get distracted during your day? Ten, twenty, thirty times or more? So, it was with great excitement when I read about an exciting new way of working that increased productivity, and ultimately was able to boost business success. Moreover, the best news is it allowed people to work fewer hours and still be paid the same salary.
This new way of running a business comes from Lasse Rheingans, a German business owner. He chose a radically different approach to his business by transforming his hours of operating. However, before I tell you what he did, here’s a question for you.
What difference would it make to your life if you could double your productivity every day?
A question I believe that is worth pondering over. Not only because of how an increase in productivity could boost business success, but also in terms of what else you could do in your day? That is the bit that excites me.
Imagine if you could work fewer hours yet still maintain or even boost your productivity and profitability Click To Tweet
Lasse Rheingans took a bold step and created a five-hour workday instead of the normal eight hours. He implemented this from his own experiences in his prior job, where he spent too many extra hours at work due to time-wasting tasks. Tasks that included checking social media and responding to reply-all emails. Now, to make this work, ensure he maintain profitability and boost business success, he created a few rules.
There is always a cost and consequence for every decision you make
- Productivity has to remain the same, as salaries remain the same.
- Employees are expected to start work at 8 am and are free to leave from 1 pm.
- Small talk during office hours is discouraged. Just imagine, no more of those pointless water fountain whinge sessions, where the same issue is rehashed day in and day out!
- Social media is banned.
- Phones stay in backpacks and company email accounts only checked twice a day.
- Most meetings last only 15 minutes.
The result of this radical shake-up to the working day is that the company produces the same level of output for clients despite shorter days. Employees are happier and are delivering better work. Ultimately, the keys to balancing life and work while being able to boost business success.
Now, this doesn’t work for everyone. One company, San Diego’s Tower Paddle Boards began a five-hour workday in 2015. Initially, it allowed them to weed out unproductive people and reward productive ones. Eventually, he limited this to the summer months. The additional time off actually sapped some employees enthusiasm and was detrimental to the profitability of the business.
What would you do with the extra time if you worked fewer hours?
Whether or not this would practically work for your business, imagine increasing your productivity? What difference would that make to your life? Aside from the business results, imagine what else you could do with the extra time? The possibilities are endless.
- A new hobby or a new sport.
- Time to cook healthy meals.
- Enjoying more time connecting with friends or family.
- Chill out time; gardening, reading or beach time perhaps?
- Have time to book those hard to get appointments that you have to do at the weekend or take time off for.
- It might even transform your relationship with your smartphone. Imagine leaving your phone at home instead of having it with you every nano-second of your life? Driven by an unconscious urge to check it for a possible moment of pleasure, a shot of dopamine in your busy day. Moreover, it might transform your relationships and help you connect more with real people!
Research has shown we are only productive for a few hours of the day. Some research cites three hours, others five. So, I reckon it makes sense to work more effectively and spend less time working to gain more time for other pursuits? To be able to boost business success while working fewer hours.
A shift in Mindset is required to boost business success and work fewer hours
To achieve this, a shift in Mindset is vital. Additional strategies to keep focused, energy high and your attention fully on the task at hand are essential. A Champion Mindset and a laser focus. However, I am sure many people would willingly ramp up their self-discipline for more time off? I know I would. What about you?
Furthermore, imagine if it gave us a solution to the growing problem we have with ‘presenteeism,’ disengagement, stress, anxiety and loneliness? What if it afforded more opportunities to have more meaningful connections with people? Moreover, keeping fit and looking after our health? We could have better relationships with our families, cook healthy meals, learn new skills or take up a new hobby. I reckon our nation’s wellbeing and health, mental and physical would improve instantly. As a consequence, cutting back our working day could be a critical key to boost business success and improve wellbeing.
Imagine cutting back your working day to five hours
Now, I’m a business owner, so I have a lot of things to juggle. While I have mastered a strategy for focusing on the tasks related to my business outside my coaching, and I always have time for myself in the morning, I haven’t as yet mastered keeping my working day to five hours. However, I am working on it! That is a great goal to strive for!
Here are two questions for you:
- How can you sprinkle a bit of this philosophy and mindset into your business?
- What do you need to do differently, or do less of to create space for more of the things that give you meaning, joy, pleasure and fulfilment in your life?
Take some time now to ponder this. Consider how you can claw back some time, maintain your productivity, boost business success and have more time for leisure pursuits. I think these are great questions for a conversation starter and hopefully, ones that you can find some solutions to? Let me know what you discover.
About the Author
- Curious how Mindset Coaching can help you achieve your results? Schedule a call on my online calendar. Reach out and let’s talk to see how, together, we can get your superpowers back so you can achieve the success you desire.
- If you are looking to discover how to do the things you know you should but don’t, grab a copy of my free PDF guide Your Winning Mindset